Friday, October 7, 2011

The Cord Blood Call

Yesterday I contacted the hospital where I gave birth to our daughter. While there, in June of 2010, I donated my cord blood. Recently, I was thinking about all of the blood I've donated over the years, worrying about all of the people I could have infected unknowingly. Then, I remembered about the cord blood and I was devastated. Surely it had been used by now! Finally, I contacted the hospital. They were very grateful and three different people I spoke with there asked how I was feeling and how treatment was going! The final person I spoke with said he would check to see if my cord blood had been viable and if it was and had not been used, he would dispose of it immediately. I will never know for sure if it was used or not, but I am hopeful that I caught it in time and a child will be spared from the nightmare that is this disease.

4 comments:

  1. I sure hope so too! Glad to hear they were so receptive and positive. Wonder, if they did use it, if they'll alert the families?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wondered the same thing. I doubt it as it could become a legal issue for them...or at least make them (or cord blood banking in general) look bad. Just hoping it doesn't matter...that it was disposed of!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have often wondered about this too. I have donated blood many times over the years not knowing I had Lyme disease along with co-infections. It is scary to think about how many people could get this disease by receiving blood. I am hopeful, too, that your were able to get yours "disposed of" before it was used. What a great thing to do, Melissa.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Ginny. Me too! It is so sad that we have to worry about these things. It breaks my heart to think of the people I may have infected! I hope you are feeling well this week!

    ReplyDelete